Thursday, January 1, 2009

Prince Forever


It was in 1986 as I remember when a young Mhel Garrido was the talk of the town in St. Scholastica's College because of the hit Dulaang Sibol variety show 30-20-10. That year hundreds of Scholasticans came to watch the show and fell in love with the handsome lead comedy stage actor who elicited a lot of laughter from the Kulasas. That actually started my love affair with Kulasas. Let me just rephrase that, I love Scholasticans. I just don’t know if they have a prototype scholastican since almost all the scholasticans I met are funny, articulate and fun to be with.


I remember it all started when a friend of mine was courting this beautiful girl from St. Scho. Back then we would send letters to our kulasa friends through our couriers, Bugsy delos Reyes from 3F and Janice Gonzalez who would distribute it in St. Scho. I remember Baba San Jose said she laughed so hard with the funny letter I sent that she shared it with her seatmate Lally Lucas. Then in a span of two weeks I was sending 20 different letters to 20 different scholasticans. My God if I can just remember what I was telling them.



Eventually I met most of them and our friendships continued on until college. In college that was the time that I got to close to one of Baba’s friends, Tammy Mananzan. Those who know me remember that I courted, failed, courted, failed blah blah blah and failed to win Tammy’s heart. Fortunately she offered something more permanent to me, her friendship. After recovering from the heartbreak I realized that her friendship was something better than what I bargained for. Tammy is now married to a close friend of mine Gabby Dy-liacco.


Flash back 1990, coming from school I would frequent visits to UP and met with Tammy, Baba, and other kulasas Gladys Guevarra, MJ Luistro, Boozy Lumawig and Mae Rivera. Imagine me even sitting in their broadcast class and seeing some atenean friends in that class. Also, most of my memories of them are great and spending time with them in College is something that made my campus tour worth remembering. Imagine me being seen in PSBA, Ateneo and UP. One would definitely wonder where I was really studying.



After college the six lovely Kulasas and I would go meet up and go out . Inevitably most of them got married we were all happy that our little barkada has added some new members. Then when everyone got busy we thought of something that will hopefully give everyone time to spend with each other at least once a year. As a result every year we would schedule Christmas get togethers with themes and games. The fun never ends since most of us even get to play kiddie games just to spice up our get togethers. As Gladys would put it, She doesn't know how the foreign legion of husbands will be if they see grown ups playing kiddie games during a reunion of close friends. Well that's us!



Just this Christmas it was only Tammy, Mae, Gladys and I got to meet at Tammy and Gabby’s house in La Vista. We were all laughing with the stories we got to blurt out. One fun story was that our group is kinda global since MJ married a Swede, Baba’s boyfriend is from Denmark, Gladys is dating a French guy while I am a native of South Africa. Anyway, the best thing with our get together is that we usually update each other with what has been happening to our lives and eventually share our plans for the coming year.



Its been twenty two years since I met with these scholasticans and I am happy that I belong to a zany and happy bunch of scholasticans who I consider my second family. The years spent together makes it easy for us to share important and sensitive things in our lives without hesitation.


Tammy is now based here in Manila but Gabby will soon follow. since he still has other commitments in the US. They have three lovely kids, Chloe, Martin and my inaanak Lucas who is just months old. Sorry Tam if I posted this pic of yours. I know you are "camera post shy" but what the heck its your family being posted here.


MJ and Markus Jonsson are now based in Sweden and with their very own Kajsa who is as white as snow. Markus is a fun guy to be with and we really enjoyed having him joke around with us during their shower when they got married here years ago. I know that MJ is in good hands and I really hope that one day I can visit you guys.



Caloy and Boozy Sta. Ana are in Canada. I remember them as the first ones to get married and I was quite sad when they decided to migrate to Canada. I must admit I really have a soft spot for Boozy. Ever since we came to know each other she never seems to forget to greet me during my Birthday. I am happy that when I met their two daughters Ysabelle and Sophia I am grateful that they got great values from their mom which is something hard when you are raised abroad. I miss the parties at your homes and the happy times we shared while we were there.

Mae and Gil Moreno are both based here in Manila and now have a child of their own - Cola. I used to joke around that Gil and I are related since we are both Moreno. Gabby and I were batchmates with Gil in the Ateneo Grade school which made it easier for us to connect to each other. With Gil around I know that I am drinking the best coffee ever made. since his business evolves all around coffee. That is why the motto of Gil and Mae is "The Familly that Brews together stays hot for each other!" Hehe. Congratulations again for giving us the news that Mae is on the family way. More reasons to drink coffee.


Baba is in Copenhagen, Denmark with Asger. Although she is far away and trying to fit in a culture that is so different with ours she never fails to u
pdate us with her marathon emails. I remember the time that I was in the province and the only way to relieve me was to send mails to my friends. I admire her for choosing to let go of everything to follow the one she loves. My prayers are with you Baba because all I want is for you to be happy.

Gladys has been based in Singapore for the past four years .She and Tammy are the energizer bunnies that fuel every party, after that Baba and Boozy would follow suit. Am really happy to see her this vacation and the stories she shared made me happy that she is doing good in Singapore. Its the country nearest the Philippines so most probably I will hopefully get to visit her there first. Haha. I am just sorry that romantically it did not work out for the both of us (hahaha) but I am happy that there is something making you happy in that country. Thanks for going back to get the barbecue.




As I write these stories I am quite nostalgic and it really makes me go back down memory lane beacuse in a way miss them for all the fun times we have been through. As a New Year starts I wish all of them the best and I hope that the friendships we have forged will continue to grow till the time we are all old and gray. Before I was the only Guy in the group and they all treated me like a Prince. So gurls, Prince Forever ha love you all!

No comments: