Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Ateneo Bonfire of the Vanities

Bagets the movie reunion
R-L Yayo Aguila, the Real Aga Muhlach,
William Martinez look alike & Herbert Bautista


There is only one thing I brag about the Ateneo, that the Ateneo is one big family! A lot of Ateneans graduate and if possible send all their students to the Ateneo. That is why when you have a barkada, you usually know the family of your barkada and so on and so forth.


The Diehards - L-R Dennis Manalo, Jay Lopez, Saint Mendoza
Rich Alvarez, Martin Lichauco, Dudong Cruz

For me the Ateneo Blue Eagles is the single unifying force that binds the whole Ateneo community. It is the reason why young professionals suddenly go on leave just to see an Ateneo - La Salle weekday game or executives suddenly schedule lunch meetings outside the office on those days. Watching the games is more of a tradition that has since given the Ateneo Community a venue with which the Alumni can see friends who they have not seen for years.



The very friendly Ateneo courtside reporter Kamae de Jesus

The culmination of a Blue Eagle season is the Bonfire that celebrates the championship of the Blue Eagles. The Blue Eagle bonfire at the Bellarmine field gathered most of the Alumni who are die hard faithfuls of the Blue and WHite. I chanced upon Sonny Tadeo, Rich Alvarez, Macky Escalona, Badjie del Rosario, Doug Kramer and LA Tenorio who were members of the 2002 Champion Team. LA and Sonny asked me if there were more people during the 2002 bonfire. Casually i said yes because it was the first time in 14 years and a lot of people where there just to be a part of it. Just like me.

Magnum and LA
"It
's a revolution"

Honestly I was prepared to shoot the event but unfortunately got tired when i arrived and got pissed at the mud since I was wearing leather shoes and obviously forgot to bring my rubber shoes since when I left the house the sun was up. What I did was that I didnt mind the event anymore and hooked up with the High School 86 Alumni who had a tent, food and drinks later on I went to see my ASSOC buddies before i called it a night.

Thanks to Cong. Dats for the Lechon

I also just took pictures of me and some Ateneo celebrities and players. Come 10:30 pm when the program ended I just quietly went home but the traffic made me take my time going to the Blue Eagle gym where I parked.

Doug Kramer and MTV VJ Macky Escalona

I had a blast with the some players of the 1987-1988 team who were there. JUst having some laughs, savoring the win and the feeling of beating La salle is enough for me to brave the muddy field and enjoy the Bonfire. Like what we all say, this is the Ateneo Way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"God really is Atenean, there was no green grass in sight."