Friday, March 13, 2009

"Kung Paano Maghiwalay" at Teatrino


Back then when I was in Grade school and High School I dreamt of being a theatre actor one day. Fortunately that dream came to reality in High School when I got to join the famed Dulaang Sibol of the Ateneo High School. Actually I got in by accident. Two of my classmates in first year High School back then asked me to join them in auditioning for the Dulaang Sibol. I obliged right away since I was amazed by the great performance of the Dulaang Sibol actors when they staged the musical Adarna. Like a typical teenager, I pictured myself on stage one day.




I got a text message from a good friend Bito Aguilos about a play they are showing within the week George de Jesus III's "Kung Paano Maghiwalay." I was reluctant to watch at first but then I said to myself what the heck mine as well invite a friend and watch just to break the monotony of everyday work and at the same time watch a play and reminisce.


The play was at the Teatrino which is just inside Promenade at the Greenhills shopping center. The set of the play was very simple which reminded me of our simple sets in Dulaang Sibol namely Sinta which used just blocks and a lighted cyclorama. Here there were just seats and occasionally when the lights are turned out guys in black would storm in and change the sets.



The story of the play centered around relationships. There are lots of characters and they all had relationships and the story showed how at first relationships ended and then flash backed to how their relationships started. It depicts the variety of Filipinos starting and ending their relationships and the various reasons that go with it. Veteran TV and Movie Actor Bembol Roco heads the cast while my good friend Bito (aka Bituin Escalante) is also a part of the powerhouse cast that also included Aiza Marquez and other notable stage actors and actresses.

The Teatrino seats around 200 people I presume and you can see the other notable stage VIPs present there to watch. If I were part of the cast I would definitely tremble at the sight of the guests. Veteran Ateneo Stage Director Ricky Abad, International Stage Artists Robert Sena and Isay Alvarez, stage Actors Jeff Arcilla, Jeffrey Hidaldgo, Rem Zamora and Carla Guevarra and many more who looked familiar to me but whose names slipped. According to the director and writer of the play George de Jesus III, they have just started a group and hopefully will have more of this in the future.

Congrats Bito and hope to be invited in more plays in the future. Hopefully next time you will also sing!

No comments: