The De La Salle Green Archers beat the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles 82 – 73 in another nerve wrecking game at the MOA Arena to send the five time champions to the bottom of the cellar with a 0 – 3 record, their worst start in 16 years. So to ease up the pain of the 0 – 3 start of the Blue Eagles here are 10 songs that would remind you of the classic down the wire game that put the Green Archers to 2 – 1.
1. A STAR IS BORN – Chris Newsome He's a hero who can please the crowd, A star is born Come on ev'rybody shout out loud, A star is born, Just remember in the darkest hour Within your heart's the power, For making you A hero too, So don't lose hope when you're forlorn, Just keep your eyes upon the skies, Every night a star is right in sight a star is Burning bright a star is born. This game will go down in Ateneo history as the finest moment in Chris Newsome’s UAAP career. Newsome led the Blue Eagles by scoring 18 points enroute to a surprising 40 – 28 halftime lead.
2. I DON’T WANNA MISS A THING – JERON TENG’S FREE THROWS – (I don’t wanna close my eyes I don’t wanna fall asleep coz I miss you baby and I don’t wanna miss a Thing). If Jeron would have scored more free throws then the Blue Eagles would have lost by a mile. JT went 1 for 7 in this game and was 6 of 16 from the field. The hack a Jeron would be a nice strategy in future La Salle games.
3. ON THE FLOOR - JASON PERKINS – “If you go hard you gotta get on the floor” JP drew Ryan Buenafe in his match-up and just when he was just starting to do good he was whistled with two fouls and was seen sprawling on the floor several times as his hard-nosed defense took its toll.
4. SMOOTH CRIMINAL – RYAN BUENAFE – “you’ve been hit by, you’ve been struck by a smooth criminal” Check song #3 if Perkins went sprawling down the floor he was most probably struck by a smooth criminal.
5. BIGLAAN – JP ERRAM “Di ako sanay sa biglaan, unti unti na lang sanang nawala!” JP Erram’s statline, 6 points, 0 Rebounds, 0 blocks, 5 fouls in 6 minutes !
6. YOUR BODY IS A WONDERLAND – FRANK GOLLA – He was all banged up and then eventually all fouled out! Refer to # 5 – Gone too soon!
7. OVERDRIVE – THE DLSU TEAM 2nd half - You have to give credit where credit is due. The DLSU Green Archers went to maximum overdrive in the third quarter by scoring more points than they did in the first half. The Green Archers turned the momentum to their side and by the fourth quarter their arrows hit their mark.
8. EDGE OF GLORY – AVO,“I’m on the edge of glory and I’m hanging on the moment of truth!” Finally DLSU figured out that they are better off with Arnold Van Opstal manning the slot and playing low. AVO was a monster in the paint and was the big difference in the game. He single handedly changed the complexion of the whole game and in time he will be the next big thing in the UAAP.
9. IRREPLACEABLE – ALMOND VOSOTROS – “You’re irreplaceable” Almond Vosotros is the most potent weapon that the Green Archers have. He has taken charge of the team by just scoring not in bunches but orchestrating first and then sniping when needed, Vosotros eventually topscored which shows why in the DLSU team he is totally irreplaceable. To the left to the left.
10. WITHOUT YOU – KIEFER RAVENAI will never win this game Without you, without you I am lost, I am vain,I will never be the same Without you, without you” Imagine the impact he would have had if he played. On the other hand, imagine the impact of the game if the Blue Eagles would have won without him? Whatever happens Kiefer will be the force that will bring the Blue Eagles to the top. The Blue and White hopefuls are praying that he can play sooner.