Monday, May 10, 2010

Election day mayday

Then Polling place

For the first time in three elections I finally had the chance to troop to the polling places and cast my vote for the 2010 Philippine Elections. I was unlucky not to participate in the past two elections since I was part of the STI Halalan Team that helped out with ABS-CBN and was at the studios first thing in the morning. This year, I thought that I will partake in the same exercise, luckily my boss excluded me since I have a big event next week. So its just a matter of me today you tomorrow exercise.


my name is not on the list

Honestly I was hesitant to go to the polling places since I know for a fact that names get deleted once you do not vote for two elections. Even though I know of such ruling I still prepared and went to the polling places since I believe its my duty to do that since the last time around It was not my choice not to vote. Although I knew about it, I still did not register for I still thought I might still be in the list. When we got to the Culiat Elementary School my fears were right - I wasn't in the list of voters. Much to my dismay I just accompanied my mother and my two sisters to vote.



A concerned voter asking everyone to line up

Just like what was seen on television, the PCOS machines and ballots were ready but the polling places were not. Since most of the precincts were combined so that one PCOS machine can accommodate as many, I think the people in the polling places did not anticipate the rush of voters plus the snail's pace in voting which eventually clogged the hallways of the polling places. What was quite hard was for the senior citizens to endure so much specially when the temperature rose to as high as 36 -37 degrees. After knowing that I wouldn't be able to vote I just helped my mother walk up and down to the third floor so that she may cast her vote.

Clustered Precinct is
the new term in this election

Once inside, my sister also assisted her. Luckily they were registered in the same precinct since they had to register again. My sister has been voting in Cebu for the past decade together with my mom and that is why its also their first time to vote again in our area. We were just lucky that they finished inside one and a half hours under the sweltering heat of the sun and the lines plus the sweat that we got. According to my mom that's the most she has sweated in a long time. Talk about sauna vote.

I never knew it was edible ink

For those who went to their respective precincts to endure the heat, the lines and the sweat just to vote - I hope there are more Filipinos like you. The big voter turnout and the fact that a lot of people really stayed on means that they now understand that one vote makes the difference and that they are really hoping for a change in our country. As for me, what I learned is that I should've registered last year. Well whatever happens I hope by 2013 I will be able to be part of the electoral process once again. To the winners - please eradicate the corruption at the lowest level of government first. That would be a good jumpstart to help the Filipino people.

No comments: