Monday, February 22, 2010

15th NYC in Davao


STI students participate

If someone were to ask me what place do I always look forward to when we have a student's convention, the answer will always be Davao. The warm reception and ready smile of the people of Davao is very infectuous. At the same time the most appreciative crowd comes from the schools that join the NYC in Davao.

STIers from atop listen to the speakers

Coming from a nerve wrecking convention in Koronadal, our team got to Davao at 12 midnight and did not waste time to rest. As for me, I had to open some emails and answer some since I have been out of the information highway and was in a different highway the whole day. It took us four hours to get to Davao since the roads were quite dark and the drivers wanted to drive cautiously. I got to sleep at around 2am in the morning and woke up at 6 am. Tough Luck.

Princess Cruz of Globe Telecom sharing the latest trends

My team started to set up the stage and other technical stuff by 8:00 am in the morning and I followed suit at around 11am. Unfortunately i was greeted by some bad news as the Host school changed my entrance dance number. Taking nothing away from the wonderful Hello World dance group, their dance number was good but their suggested entrance dance number is not the entrance dance number suitable for the NYC. Eventually the original dancers came to the venue to finish the dance number I sent and my entrance dance number was a hit again.

Pido teaching the Bayani Song

Our three speakers, Princess Cruz of Globe Telecom, Adrian Ding and Pido Aguilar were again received warmly and every joke, however corny it was, made the delegates laugh hard. Students from STI San Francisco, STI Tagum, STI Digos, STI Kidapawan and STI College Davao formed the 1500 strong STI delegation that trooped to the CAP Auditorium here in davao city.


Adrian shared a lot to the STIers

Luckily they went home with lots of learnings and hopefully act on what they have learned. There was certain angle in Adrian's talk that made a lot of students want to start enacting the 8 tips to be hirable. As I have mentioned, that talk is primarily for the students who still have time to hone all the skills needed to be hired. Hopefully the students of STI here who are studying in the schools I mentioned will put into their hearts what they have learned and hopefully will be gainfully employed when they graduate. My hats off to my NYC team who did a good job in making this Davao sojourn another one for the books.

No comments: