Sunday, June 14, 2009

Ateneo Sesqui Kick - Off : The Ateneo Way



Jose P. Rizal, Antonio Luna, Ambrosio Padilla, Raul Manglapus, Juan Ponce Enrile, Dick Gordon, Mhel Garrido. Yes you can put me in that list since all of us share one thing – we all studied in the Ateneo. Me, along very many notable alumni all over country are all happy to celebrate another milestone for our beloved alma mater, the Sesquicentennial celebration of the Ateneo. One hundred fifty years is long time and with it is a rich heritage that the Ateneo has brought to the country. The Ateneo is also one of the oldest schools in the country and even if the UST or Letran has been around for almost four centuries, the Ateneo has made a mark like these institutions in producing quality graduates.


If there is one thing that I will forever be grateful to my father is that he enrolled me in the Ateneo. I myself would have not metamorphosed to what I am now if not for the experiences I had and the people I have met in the Ateneo that made me for what I am now. ThThe once naughty, talkative and arrogant boy has now turned into a man for others, a person who values the many Ateneans of countless generations he has come to be friends with year in and year out.


Every time I pass by the grade school I always recall the many times I fell from the big slide just across the intermediate building or the times we had swimming lessons with Mr. Bana Sailani. I will never forget the valuable lessons I have learned from Mr. Pagsanghan. I was truly inspired by the stories he shared to us and the values he has instilled on us which until now I practice at home and at the office. Who would ever forget the 20 point comeback against the Jerry CodiƱera led UE Warriors and the win against the Dindo Pumaren led DLSU Archers. These UAAP back to back championships are forever etched in my mind and memory as the happiest moments in my life. And all of these were when I was with the Ateneo.


Besides the rich heritage of the Ateneo, another trademark of the school is its tradition of excellence in whatever one does. I myself have failed again and again, but because the Ateneo has molded me in the tradition of excellence, the places I fell to have made me shine once again. The institution has molded me to become a person who demands excellence in whatever I do. The Ateneo has made me become a man for others owing it to the countless Days with the Lord experiences I had. Lastly, being an Atenean has made me become more and more aware of what I can do to be able to help my countrymen. That is the essence of being an Atenean – Celebrating Excellence, Deepening of Spirituality, Building the Nation – that is the Ateneo Way.


No comments: