Saturday, December 27, 2008

Nun of the Above

Sister Susay almost changed her mind because of me..
Hard to admit but I lost to the better man...

I remember the time when I was in third year high school and the Dulaang Sibol then was showing the hit variety show “Kwerdas para sa Sacadas” My good friend Joey Valdez introduced me to his sister Susay who was an avid fan of the show. Joey’s sister was always there to support her brother by watching every chance she gets and more importantly bringing over some friends to watch the show. That was how I got to know that sweet gal who happens to be a look alike of Joey but sweeter and cuter and very different from Joey in a lot of ways. Every time she watched we would have a chance to casually chat and have a laugh or two.


Sister Susay bows for her vows

Fast forward to 2008 when i got to get in touch with Susay via facebook. Would you believe that I almost fell of my seat when I got to chat with her and got to know that she is already connected with the Cenacle Sisters. Then a few minutes after I absorbed the news I got to smile since I knew that Susay is someone who was really close to the Lord and becoming a nun is actually a blessing not only to her family but also to the Cenacle Sisters. I was just touched when she invited me over to witness this event and like what I told her, I wouldn’t miss it for anything.


Fr. Dan McNamara S.J
"Thy will be Dan!"

The profession of perpetual vows was done during the mass. The celebration of the Holy Eucharist was presided by one of my favorite Jesuit Priests Fr. Dan McNamara S.J who flew all the way from Davao to celebrate the mass. The venue was one of the new churches in Loyola, the Our Lady of Pentecost Parish which is located at C.Salvador St. that a stone's throw away from the Cenacle Sister’s residence. Another guest of Sister Susay is Fr. Jett Villarin S.J who gave the homily.


Fr. Jett Villarin S.J
"Sister Susay found God's goodness..."

Fr. Jett gave an in depth homily on the theme that enveloped the whole ceremony of Susay's perpetual vows. Fr. Jett talked about Goodness in general and then came to infuse that virtue to the deeds that Sister Susay has done. Fr. Jett said “Sister Susay is now here because she found God’s goodness in the convent and in the goodness of her sisters and community.” Another thing that Fr. Jett mentioned was that another part of goodness is also letting go and surrendering. Goodness can endure simply by surrendering again. Surrendering as he said is “giving one’s self." Fr. Jett also added that to be good is to be fitting, and to fit is to belong. Fr. Jett said that the best thing about Sister Susay is that she is fit for God’s calling, as Fr. Jett put it, “kasyang kasya..lalo na sa size 34!”



Fr. Dan, Fr. Jett & the two other priests are Sister Susay's Four Fathers

Those are just excerpts of the great homily that Fr. Jett gave. Another memorable anecdote is what Fr. Jett narrated. Since he was once the spiritual adviser of Sister Susay back then, Fr. Jett also mentioned Sister Susay was there not because of default, meaning she was there not because she has no boyfriend. In fact Fr. Jett said, “She even had a boyfriend who was a varsity player.” That comment elicited a thunderous laugh from the friends of Sister Susay.


Sister Susana Carina "Susay" Sta. Ana Valdez R.C


Sister Susay Valdez took time to thank everyone who helped her in the event and like the bride who got wed to God, she invited everyone over to a lunch reception at the Cenacle Sister’s convent which is just walking distance from the church. I definitely obliged and you know what happens whenever I go to receptions.


Mhel, Tita Ampy, Joey, Janna, Gladys, Tito Tony, Saree, Therese, Cholo, Sister Susay


It was another “glutaphos moment” for me since I saw a lot of familiar faces but could not remember most of their names. During the mass I saw a lot of my teachers in the Ateneo Grade School since Sister Susay’s mom, Tita Ampy was a Grade School faculty member for who knows how long. I was glad to see my good friend Fr. RB Hizon S.J there. I even told Fr. RB that I think the reason why he was there because there were a lot of nuns there. Hehehe.


I was hoping I could hear Basil sing again,

Well, he just asked me to take the lead


Another person I was glad to chat with was Basil Valdez. Basil incidentally is the uncle of Susay. I got to see him in the Alumni Homecoming but never got to talk to him. It’s so nice to reminisce the times when we had a caroling group back in 1987 and 1988.



"Sister, I will clear my mind of impure thoughts"


I thought that my presence during these perpetual vows would make Sister Susay change her mind, but unfortunately we were not meant to be. I am happy that she has now professed her final vows as a nun for the one who is above us. That is what led me to say that she is really a Nun of the above. Love you Sister Susay and good luck with your journey.

No comments: