Monday, June 9, 2008

RUDY FERNANDEZ: Remembering Daboy

A former Teen star and son of a famed director Gregorio Fernandez, Rudy Fernandez came into national prominence with his FAMAS nominated hit “Bitayin si Baby Ama.” The Movie was a smash hit during that time and this success gave him the label of the Philippines Junior action star. As mentioned, the Philippines top acting award giving body, FAMAS, he was cited for his role as Baby Ama with a Best Lead Actor nomination and later on won the plum with his role in the movie “Batuigas..Pasukuin si Waway” in 1984. He duplicated this feat in 1988 with the movie Victor Corpuz.

To this date, two of his memorable lines in the movie Markang Bungo is still fresh in my mind: “Trabaho lang ito, walang personalan!” and my favorite “I am the Pulis!” after which he slaps the bad guy with his badge.

My only regret is that I never got the chance to know him during the times I was in the showbiz scene. He has a distinct signature in the way he acts which everybody can agree that is so hard to imitate. His death is a serious blow to Philippine cinema. I myself am saddened and will surely miss his one liners which I admit I used to imitate at one time or the other. As a tribute to Daboy I would like to sing this song to him “…I remember DABOY, but I don’t remember what he’s feeling anymore..” Have a good voyage Idol.

No comments: