SAN AGUSTIN CHURCH
Oldest stone church in the Philippines. Plans were approved in 1586, construction started in 1587 and completed in 1607 under the supervision successively of Augustinian Fathers Francisco de Bustos. Ildefonso Perez, Diego de Avila and Brother Alonso de Perea. It’s Architect was Juan Macias. It has withstood many earthquakes from 1645 up to the presenta na survived the British invasion in 1762. The Spanish-American war in 1898 and the Japanese invasion in 1942. The church choir has 68 carved molave sears with narra inlaids. An artistic lectern and parchment cantorials of the 17th and 18th centuries.
The church and its graves were profaned during the british occupation of Manila in 1762. The ashes of early spanish conquistadores Legazpi, Salcedo, Laverzares and Blessed Pedro de Zuniga and others now rest in the eastrenmost champel of the transept. Terms for the american occupation of Manila were prepared in the vestry of the church in 1898. The first Philippine Plenary council was held here in 1953. Chosen as a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1993.
from the church stone marker
ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL OF MANILA
First Cathedral built in 1581. Damaged by a typhoon in 1582 and destroyed by fire in 1583. Second cathedral build of stone in 1592 and partiualy destroyed by earthquake in 1600. Third cathedral build in 1614 and destroyed by the earthquake of 1645. Fourth Cathedral magnificicently built in 1654 – 1671 by Archbishop Miguel Poblete and destroyed by the earthquake of June 3, 1863. Fifth cathedral built in 1870 – 1879 under architects Luciano Oliver. Vicente Serrano Salaverria and Educardo Lopez Navarro and solemly blessed in December 1879. The center of the cross on the dome is a reference point of astronomical longtitudes of the Archipelago. Destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945. Seventh Cathedral reconstructed , 1945 – 1958, under the direction of Archbishop Rufino J. Santos of Manila mainly with the support of the people. Fernando Ocampo was the Architect.