BASILICA MINORE DE SAN SEBASTIAN
(SAN SEBASTIAN CHURCH)
Basilica Minor de San Sebastian better known as the San Sebastian Church is a Roman Catholic Basilica in Metro Manila. It is the seat of the Parish of San Sebastian and the National Shrine of our Lady of Mount Carmel. Designed by Genabo Palacios, the structural metal of which is uniquely built was manufactured in Belgium and erected here by the Belgian Engineers. The church was solemly blessed August 16, 1891. Earlier churches built on this site by Recollect friars since 1611 were destroyed by earthquake in 1859, 1863, and 1880.
Completed in 1891, the San Sebastian Church is noted for its architectural features. An example of the revival of Gothic - Architecture in the Philippines, it is the only all-steel church or Basilica in Asia and claimed as the only pre-fabricated steel church in the world. It was designated as a National Heritage landmark by the Philippine Government in 1973. In 2006, San Sebastian Church was included in the tentative list for possible designation as a World Heritage site. San Sebastian Church is under the care of the Order of Augustinian Recollects who also operate a college adjacent to the Basilica.
Source from Wikipedia
ST. MICHAEL AND THE ARCHANGELS
Also called Villa de San Miguel Church and Malacañang Chruch (due to its proximity to the Palace), the Shrine was first built in the 1630s as an ex-voto by a Spanish Governor-General who miraculously escaped death while on a military campaign. This church also once ministered to Japanese Christians fleeing persecution by the Tokugawa Shogunate, and since many of the exiles had belonged to the Samurai class, the church was dedicated to Saint Michael (who is a heavenly general and angelic warrior). Saint Michael's acquired its presidential association when several Presidents began frequently worshipping there, most notably President Carlos P. García and his consort, First Lady Leonila.
St. Michael's today is more popular with betrothed couples, as Shrine priests are authorized by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila to bestow the Sacraments of Confirmation and, if necessary, Baptism. This pre-wedding requirement of the Catholic Church is performed on baptized faithful in an hour-long service the same day it is requested.
Built by the Jesuits and the first Church that was made of stone near the Tripa de Gallina in 1603. Became a parish church in 1611. This was the center of the Japanese mission in 1615. The administration of the church was then given to secular priests in 1768. The church was then transferred to where it is now and under the Parish of Quiapo in 1783. It was then returned to the Franciscan order in 1797. It was then administered by Secular Priests in 1899. The present church was built in 1913 and was chosen as Pro - Cathedral by Manila from 1946 – 1958. Was made as the National Altar of St. Michael and the Archangels in 1986.
Lifted from the Church marker