Monday, April 27, 2009

Dealo Koffee Klatch


The town of Lukban in QUezon rings a bell. It is not only famous for its Pahiyas festival which is the town's way of asking the almighty for a good harvest but for me it is the home of the famous Lukban Longanniza. Eversince I was a kid I have liked eating longaniza and my personal favorites are the Vigan and Lukban longaniza for their distinct flavor.


Our first stop took us to the Dealo Koffee Klatch for our breakfast which is the house of the famous Lukban Longaniza. After much asking, I discovered that there is really no special house that sells it, in fact all stores in Lukban sells their famous longaniza.

We were all starving to death since we took the longer route to Lukban Quezon. It was already 11:30 am and we decided not to stop anymore but go on straight to Dealo Koffe Klatch. The brunch consisted of longaniza, eggs and pancit hab-hab. I have already heard of Pancit hab-hab in my previous visits to Quezon but it was the only time I asked why it had such a name and according to the helper there it was because when they ask to eat it they put it in their palms and eat it there.. a must have this pancit hab-hab.

In this picture is Harvard, Arvin and yours truly. One thing I loved in this trip was that we all had our own DSLR cameras and finally I had pictures taken unlike before in which I was just content taking pictures of the people I am with. This time I was part of the action. Here is one of the pix taken by Angelica. The fun part that we did in Dealo Koffee Klacth was the demonstration of how a Lukban Longaniza is done plus how a Kiping is done.


Tita Julie here demonstrates how the Longaniza is done. Also shown is the one kilo of pork that is being diced together with the garlic, oregano juice and other ingredients that makes the Lukban longaniza distinct from other longanizas. To me it is similar to the Vigan longaniza.  

Louise on the other hand demonstrates how the Kiping, a local version of rice wafer, is done.  The Kiping has dual roles, it can be a decoration depending on what colors you want to incorporate or it can also be a dessert since it is a rice wafer. During the Pahiyas, the Kiping keeps the festival very festive with its vibrant colors and other designs.

Here as usual, I demonstrate my best move so far and I was quite engrossed with the nice taste of this rice wafer they call Kiping. That is why I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can taste it again next time, specially the grilled one. On to the next part of our journey.

No comments: