Tuesday, April 15, 2008

THE WEDDING EMCEE


The town of Agoncillo in Batangas is a long 120 km ride south of Manila, a two hour drive via the scenic route of Tagaytay Ridge and R. Diokno Highway It is 32 km away from Batangas City, the provincial capital. Bounded in the east by approximately 10 km lakeshore of Taal Lake, in the south by the municipality of San Nicolas, separated by Pansipit on the west by the municipality of Lemery and on the north by the municipality of Laurel. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 26,584 people in 5,029 households. That was the route I took to host a wedding reception. Come to think of it, i've turned down numerous emceeings the past four months and I myself am wondering why i said yes. The only logical reason is I missed emceeing weddings and I loved driving alone coz it helps me reconnect to myself. Like what i told my friend, once i commit i'll be there. The only thing that will prevent me from doing so is a drastic change of sked because of my day job. This was the first time I hosted a wedding that I never really did meet the wedding coordinator nor the bride and groom. I was just sent a program and a map then a short explanation of the program when I arrived. I was told that I came highly recommended and i was quite happy everything turned out okay. The newlyweds were happy to have me. While chatting with the other suppliers who were there, Red Santos who was the official photographer asked me, "how long have you been doing this?" Then I suddenly realized, OMG its been 15 years since the first Wedding I emceed! I never really realized that I have mastered a craft that some people are hesitant to do. The best part is that at the end of the job you get paid for doing something you enjoy doing. That's why going back to manila I took several side trips to enjoy Tagaytay and also take my sweet time going home. The past 15 years i have been emceeing weddings while the past 18 had me play music to friends who got married. Next Stop, the wedding photographer!

No comments: