Sunday, December 4, 2011

RE BLUE TION - Ateneo Alumni Homecoming 2011

The Mass at Gesu

When the Ateneo Blue Eagles won the UAAP Title for the first time in 1987 they were invited to to the Ateneo Alumni Homecoming at the Ateneo High School covered courts to be given a heroes welcome for finally nailing the ever elusive UAAP crown. Fortunately, me and my friend Jeffrey Tan also got invited since we were tasked to introduce the Blue Eagles to the Ateneo Alumni. Back then, what we did was kind of a novelty since we introduced the team through a rap number with Jeff Tan acting as the boom box and me introducing the team through a rap we made. Mingling with the Alumni back then made me belong to the community and was really looking forward to 2012 which is the year that our batch will be silver jubilarians.

The Blue Babble leading the way

December 3, 2011 came and the last of our upperclassmen hosted the Ateneo Alumni Homecoming with their brand of celebration entitled ReBLUEtion. High School batch 1986 saw their final quarter in High School halted as the 1986 EDSA Revolution took away the remaining two months of classes which was not the best way to end the best times of your lives. But the 1986 batch became closer to each other even after their last months in the Ateneo High School was abbreviated by the revolution.

Ateneo HS Batch 1987

Jubilarians from different batches were there to celebrate and the one thing nice about attending Ateneo gatherings is the prospect of seeing lots of friends who I have not seen in ages. From the Ateneo HS Batch 1961 I saw the father of my good friends and same goes with the other non jubiliarians who were just there to enjoy the evening. For me there were two highlights of the evening, one is the launch of the Tulong Dunong MTV which was a song of the APO Hiking society that was rewritten and now sung by Parokya ni Edgar. The song includes lots of Ateneans who were also former TD Kuyas showing what TD is all about. I was lucky enough to be part of the launch together with my former TD teacher Onnie Martin.


Batch mate Pike Fernandez - a one of a kind homecoming

One of the best part of the event was the turnover of Batch 1986 to our batch of the Symbolic Eagle. Imagine, having seen the Ateneo Alumni Homecoming for the past 24 years its already our time to host and as of now I am so excited for our batch to celebrate more than 25 years of of being a part of the very prestigious University that breeds men for others. I am who I am because of the Ateneo. That is why its time to give back and hopefully come the 2012 Alumni Homecoming I hope that there will be a lot of Ateneans who will be happy of our hosting.


Batchmates with new friends


No comments: